Saturday, January 22, 2011

Start her up

Working in a lab was great, in a so-stressful-you-grind-your-teeth-to-nubbins sort of way. Not all labs, just mind. A demanding boss with no idea of what your job actually entails and unrealistic deadlines can do that. But I've left that in the rearview and started grad school way on the other side of campus in Entomology.

Its amazing how much you learn just switching environments. I feel like the exponential knowledge curve levels out after about 2 years in one environment, so its good to move on, where the knowledge you gained at your last job is now novel and intriging, not just part of your every day grind.

I worked with my advisor previously, and am on the same campus, so some of the stressors have lessened than are experienced by your average new student. So I actually get to focus on meeting the department and reading instead of figuring out the bus system or where a grocery store is to be found.

I even have my committee put together and am scouting field sites less than two weeks in to classes.

Next step is a proposal and time line.

No comments: